Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Chapter None = Preface

I am waiting to hear music.

Wait.

Wait with me. I have been waiting and it is coming, I am sure of it.

It is deep and long.

It is earthy and sooty.

I think someone once told me my ancestors are the reason I long for dark notes. As if the low notes are the sorrow of my African Ancestors. The deepness is my black side.

If I sing an octave higher am I yearning for my white? Am I betraying my skin? My brownness that has been called Spanish, Brazilian, Ethiopian, African-American, and more.

I am waiting to hear music that defines the way my hands and feet move and how my eyebrows curve.

I am waiting to hear music that describes the way wind hits a single leaf and forces it to the ground.

I am waiting to hear music that tells me what love death melancholy anger is when I am not in them.

I am waiting for music because I am worried that memories captured with words can never say enough of what I want to say. The words only moisten the idea while music floods with meaning.

1 comment:

David said...

nar nar, my face is on your blog now!